[Samba] Samba4 AD DC Implementation Report - YAY! And Thanks for the tools!

Sketch smblist at rednsx.org
Mon Mar 16 12:02:16 MDT 2015

On Mon, 16 Mar 2015, Deven Phillips wrote:

> Following the instructions here:
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_AD_DC_HOWTO
>
> In that page there is a link to using Bind as your DNS server, which links
> to: https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/DNS_Backend_BIND
>
> On that page, it instructs you to populate the DNS server with the command:
>
> /usr/local/samba/sbin/samba_dnsupdate --verbose --all-names

Technically, it doesn't say that, it says you can run it manually to test
or debug the updates.  The wiki says that samba runs that script itself at
startup, and every 10 minutes thereafter.

That said, what you say below is all correct.  I have seen the same thing.
The defaults should work fine for most people, however, if you have some
interfaces on an internal management network or something that is not
reachable by all clients, adding them to DNS will cause issues.