[Samba] Samba4 AD DC Implementation Report - YAY! And Thanks for the tools!

Deven Phillips deven.phillips at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 11:53:39 MDT 2015

Following the instructions here:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_AD_DC_HOWTO

In that page there is a link to using Bind as your DNS server, which links
to: https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/DNS_Backend_BIND

On that page, it instructs you to populate the DNS server with the command:

/usr/local/samba/sbin/samba_dnsupdate --verbose --all-names

Without the "interfaces" and the "bind interfaces only" it will grab the IP
addresses of all configured interfaces and register them into DNS. This,
for my server, querying it for A records returned:

127.0.0.1 (loopback)
192.168.1.210 (br0 - LAN address)
192.168.122.1 (virtual network for KVM)
172.16.0.1 (Virtual network for Docker)

On the br0 interface is of any use to other hosts, so it caused me some
problems and I had to use samba-tool to remove the extra A records.

Deven