[Samba] Joining a domain

Chris Stankevitz chrisstankevitz at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 11:26:26 MDT 2015

Hello,

Please consider a scenario in which samba is sharing files and users
provide their Active Directory usernames and passwords to log into to
samba.

1. Must "net join" be used?

2. Under what circumstances will samba (and family) require an
explicit "net join"?

3. What technically is happening when samba/computer "joins" the domain?
3a. Is a file added to the hard drive?
3b. Is the join "persistent" across reboots?

4. How can I tell is a samba server has been "joined" to the domain?

Chapter 10 of the Oreilly 3rd edition book describes domain
membership, but it leaves me wanting to understand more.  For example,
"net join" has never worked well (generally spews some kind of
complaint) but things still work.  But I'm not even sure I have to
issue "net join" I just sort of do it in a panic of trying everything
to get the darn thing working.

Thank you,

Chris