[Samba] Solved: Windows frozen; samba spewing smbd_dirptr_get_entry

Chris Stankevitz chrisstankevitz at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 11:16:38 MDT 2015

Hello,

Last December I wrote to the list asking about obnoxiously long
freezes when using Windows 7's "explorer" to browse a samba
repository.  While Windows was frozen, samba's log was filling with
smbd_dirptr_get_entry messages -- one for each file in a particular
directory.  Since I had some directories with 10,000 files, this was a
slow process.

Amusingly, I was not "entering" these directories with Windows.
Windows was scanning "random" directories.

Turns out, windows sometimes will show you information about a
directory's contents when you hover your mouse over it.  It will show
you how many files and the names of the first few files.  Apparently
it does this by asking for a smbd_dirptr_get_entry of each file.

Turn off this obnoxious behavior by:
- Open explorer.exe
- Press ALT to display the menu
- Select Tools | Folder Options | View
- Uncheck "Show pop-up descriptions for folders and desktop items"

Chris

Original email: https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2014-December/187973.html