[Samba] Fwd: closed connection to service xxx

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 9 04:02:28 MDT 2015

On 09/03/15 08:20, Richard Huber wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Sorry to bother all with this simple(?) configuration question,
>
> Little background:
> I recently migrated our samba server from Ubuntu 9.04 to Ubuntu
> 14.04.1.LTS.
> Migration was done like this: moving conf-files from the old server to
> the new one.
> My samba server is member of a windows domain, that is controlled by a
> Domain Controller running Windows Server 2008.
> We have three types of shares, "common", "user" and "nov"
>
> On our common-share, I created a document with MS Word (Windows
> 7-client):
>
> $ sudo smbstatus | grep .doc
> WARNING: The "idmap uid" option is deprecated
> WARNING: The "idmap gid" option is deprecated
> 14285        10028      DENY_WRITE 0x12019f    RDWR NONE
> /mnt/storage/share/common   New Microsoft Office Word Document.docx
> Fri Mar  6 09:29:04 2015
>
> I kept word running and after 1½ hours these messages appears in the log:
>
> $ tail -f /var/log/samba/log.myIP
> [2015/03/06 11:04:31.126911,  1]
> ../source3/smbd/service.c:1122(close_cnum)
>   myIP (ipv4:myIP:59614) closed connection to service common
> [2015/03/06 11:04:31.127220,  1]
> ../source3/smbd/service.c:1122(close_cnum)
>   myIP (ipv4:myIP:59614) closed connection to service richard.huber
> [2015/03/06 11:04:31.576273,  1]
> ../source3/param/loadparm.c:3178(lp_do_parameter)
>   WARNING: The "idmap uid" option is deprecated
> [2015/03/06 11:04:31.576487,  1]
> ../source3/param/loadparm.c:3178(lp_do_parameter)
>   WARNING: The "idmap gid" option is deprecated
>
> $ sudo smbstatus | grep .doc
> WARNING: The "idmap uid" option is deprecated
> WARNING: The "idmap gid" option is deprecated
>
> File handle seems to be closed, even though word is still running with
> the file opened.
> When I press save in Word the file reappears in smbstatus:
>
> $ sudo smbstatus | grep .doc
> WARNING: The "idmap uid" option is deprecated
> WARNING: The "idmap gid" option is deprecated
> 32007        10028      DENY_WRITE 0x12019f    RDWR NONE
> /mnt/storage/share/common   New Microsoft Office Word Document.docx
> Fri Mar  6 12:32:30 2015
>
> My feeling is that smbd dies and gets restarted, due to the warning
> about idmap uid,gid..
>
> Any ideas how to resolve this problem?
>
> /Richard

OK, easy part first :-)

As the log says "idmap uid" & "idmap gid" are deprecated. You need to
use "idmap config * : backend" instead, for an example see the member
server page in the samba wiki:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_a_Samba_AD_Member_Server

Not sure if this will cure your main problem, it probably won't, but
start with the obvious first.

Rowland