[Samba] server max protocol appropriate values

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Wed Mar 4 15:43:09 MST 2015

Hello James,

Am 04.03.2015 um 16:26 schrieb James:
>     My DC smb.conf currently has the following set
>
>         server max protocol = NT1
>         server min protocol = CORE
>         client max protocol = NT1
>         client min protocol = CORE
>
> Is it safe to change both the client and server max to = SMB3? What
> about on member servers? Should I be concerned with anything breaking?
> I'm using Windows 7 clients to authenticate against Ubuntu 4.1.17 DC's
> and a Debian Wheezy as a file server.

If the new protocol versions are instable, they wouldn't be default. ;-)

At work I have all server (4.1.17) running on their default value. But
we encountered some SMB2 caching problems. But this was client related
and can be controlled via registry/GPO settings, if appearing:
https://technet.microsoft.com/zh-tw/library/ff686200%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

Regards,
Marc