[Samba] IPv6 DNS Confusion

David Holder david.holder at erion.co.uk
Wed Jun 24 09:44:41 MDT 2015

Hi Chris,

This sounds like a bug and a configuration issue ;-) .

You are correct your domain controller IPv6 address should not change.

Is your /64 a static prefix that does not change with time? If it is,
then this probably means that you have temporary addresses configured on
your DC. Either scenarios are likely to cause a DNS update and add new
records. The old records should be deleted first. However, there are
issues with DDNS in the Samba Internal DNS server. This could be the
reason that they are not being deleted and old records remain in in DNS.
This is a bad thing. It is likely that this will not be a problem if you
were using BIND.

There are some IPv6/DNS related patches coming up but I suspect that
they might not fix this problem.

In the first instance, I would make sure that you have static addresses
on your DC and manually remove the old addresses.

Be aware then when deleting IPv6 addresses in DNS using the samba-tool
you cannot use the canonical form of the IPv6 address, you must write it
out in full. See my presentation from Samba XP 2015 at
http://www.ipv6consultancy.com/ipv6blog/?p=100.

I am out of the office for a while but when I get back I will take a
look at this.

Best Regards,
David
Dr David Holder CEng FIET MIEEE

Erion Ltd, An Cala, Inverkirkaig, Lochinver, Sutherland, IV27 4LR, UK

Reception: +44 (0)1422 207000

Direct Dial: +44 (0)131 2026317

http://www.erion.co.uk

Registered in England and Wales. Registered Number 3521142
Registered Office: Newtons, 49 Coniscliffe Road, Darlington, County
Durham, DL3 7EH, UK
VAT Number: GB 698 3633 78