[Samba] IPv6 DNS Confusion

Christopher Roberts cjr at tridenthonda.co.uk
Sat Jun 20 08:33:52 MDT 2015

I am using Samba 4.2.2 with Internal DNS.

I haven't deliberately set up IPv6, but I know our ISP allocates us a 64 block and auto-configuration seems to be doing the rest. Generally machines seem to be able to ping using IPv6 and Windows seems to be using that by default.

But looking in DNS there seem to be around 100 IPv6 addresses showing for the domain controller server, which surely cannot be healthy? And hundreds more with the hostname "(same as parent folder)".

Is this normal or is there something I should be doing to correct this?

Thanks,

Chris.