[Samba] idmap & migration to rfc2307

buhorojo buhorojo.lcb at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 02:42:18 MDT 2015

On 14/06/15 04:14, Jonathan Hunter wrote:
> On 13 June 2015 at 16:42, buhorojo <buhorojo.lcb at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 13/06/15 17:33, Jonathan Hunter wrote:
>>> I have the following in smb.conf:
>>>           server services = -dns +winbind -winbindd
>> this is also winbind:
>>>           idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
>> Lose it.
> Hmmm OK - what would tell samba to use rfc2307 in that case - would it
> do so automatically ??
No. By removing this line, you are reverting to default values where the
now obsolete winbind in the samba DC did nothing with rfc2307
information. The idmap_ldb:use  was a not very elegant way of retrieving
partial uid:gid information from the old winbind code that was part of
the dc. As you have now found, wnbindd is no more capable.

By using sssd, you have bypassed  the  bugs present in winbind and
winbindd by simply not using either of them. and by so doing, turned
your DC into a fully functioning file server. Just like windows server.

Your next step is to cluster the file shares. Maybe you should ask, will
we need dcs and file servers much longer? We'll _never_ go back!