[Samba] Samba3 shares cannot be mounted on linux box uisng cifs command , error "CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -13"

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 15:49:24 UTC 2015

On 15/07/15 15:10, Mario Pio Russo wrote:
> OR
>
> is there any way, or magical hidden parmeter in the smb.conf that allows to
> enumerate the users in the Domain Users? tbh this has a huge impact on the
> file share server as many directorys have "domain users" as group

I don't think you understand this at all :-)

If a user is a member of an AD domain, then they are members of the
Domain Users group, this is done via the ' primaryGroupID' attribute
which should be set to '513'

If you examine the 'Domain Users' object in AD, you will find that it
doesn't show as having *any* users, yet every user is a member and
windows recognises this.

So when you upgrade the 'Domain Users' group to being a Unix group by
giving it a 'gidNumber' attribute and samba on a Unix client is set up
correctly, the Unix machine will also recognise this and allow members
of the 'Domain Users' group access to a share, this will happen even if
'getent group Domain\ Users' show no members of the group. You should
note that you may also use domain_users to reference the group.