[Samba] Getent Differences on a DC and a Member Server

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 09:43:30 UTC 2015

On 10/07/15 08:05, Ritter, Marcel (RRZE) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know there've been some workarounds on this topic, however I'm missing
> the reason for winbind to behave differently on a DC and on a member
> server (I also had to work around that problem and I'd really like it fixed).

The reason is a bit historical, originally samba4, when running as an AD
DC, used the builtin winbind. This did not have the full capabilities of
the separate winbindd used on a member server and various things did not
work. Samba, from 4.2.0, has switched to using the separate winbindd,
the main reason for this switch was to get domain trusts working,
something I understand is still not fully working and the devs are
concentrating on making this work before getting anything else in
winbindd to work.

I think you will find that just about everybody would like winbindd
'fixing', but you will just have to wait (unless you care to come up
with patches to make it work?)

> If there's a technical reason for it, it'd be nice to know about it.
> If there isn't, then it's just a bug that should be fixed.

There is a bug report about this and as I said, it will be fixed, I just
do not know when.

Rowland