[Samba] Samba local user without /etc/passwd

Gionatan Danti g.danti at assyoma.it
Thu Jul 9 20:25:07 UTC 2015

Il 09-07-2015 22:01 Rowland Penny ha scritto:
> I will say it again but in slightly different words: there are no
> 'remote' users, there are local Unix users and there are domain users,
> local users can only connect to directories and files on the local
> computer. Domain users can connect to directories and files on any
> domain computer that is set up with the correct permissions.

Let's forget about the domain part. I included it trying to better
explain my thought, but let forget about it for the moment.

> So:
> There are local users

OK

> There are active directory domain users

OK

> These cannot be the same users

OK

> There is no where else to store user info except in either /etc/passwd
> (which makes them local users) or in AD (which makes them active
> directory domain users).

This is the one that let me a bit perplexed. The tdbsam-backed accout
can store _any_ required information (eg: username, password, full name,
etc). After all, using pdbedit we can see (and edit) all of them. So I
imagined that perhaps it was possible to store users directly inside the
tdb database, and nothing more.

Well, it seems I was wrong ;)
Thank you all.

--