[Samba] SAMBA4 AD - Logon Scripts

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Wed Jul 8 17:45:39 UTC 2015

Hello Craig,

Am 07.07.2015 um 09:06 schrieb Craig SHONE:
> Anyone having problems running logon scripts in 4.2.2?

I can't confirm any problems. :-)

> I've created a few test scripts (.bat, .vbs, etc) and placed them in the
> netlogon folder and then assigned some user accounts either the .bat or .vbs
> files using RSAT tools.

Is this a new DC installation or are only the new placed files not
beeing execute during logon?

> Yet at login none of my client workstations (Windows XP, 7 or 8) execute
> their login scripts, none get mapped drives, etc.  Browsing to the netlogon
> folder on each machine and running the script manually works fine.

Have you filled the logon script name into the AD attribute 'scriptPath'?

http://blogs.technet.com/b/deds/archive/2011/10/28/ausfuehren-des-user-objekt-logon-scripts-schlaegt-mit-windows-2008-dcs-fehl.aspx

Alternatively you can define logon scripts via GPO domain/OU wide. There
are many guides out there, if you use $SEARCHENGINE. :-)

> Do I need the netlogon directive in my smb.conf ?  Or is this deprecated in
> favour of assigning via RSAT tools?

In an AD environment, you set the logon script via scriptPath attribute
or GPO. The smb.conf directive you need, if you run Samba as an NT4 PDC.

Regards,
Marc