[Samba] CUPS backend question - Samba 4

Daniel Carrasco MarĂ­n danielmadrid19 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 07:18:49 UTC 2015

trever at middleearth.sapphiresunday.org>:

> Hello,
>
> I have a DC that sits on a different subnet from the CUPS server that I
> would like to use. I would rather not install CUPS on the DC.
>
> Is it possible to change the server name away from localhost for the
> CUPS backend and have it connect to that other server to get the
> printers (load printers = yes) and print to that server? Must I have a
> CUPS installation on the DC?
>
> Thank you,
> Trever
>

> --

Hi,

Why don't you create a Member server with cups installed?. I suppose that
you have a gateway between both subnets, right?

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_a_Samba_AD_Member_Server
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_as_a_print_server

With that, the cups server can authenticate the users using the DC server
and you just need to print directly to the member server without use the DC
as proxy.
A suggestion is to add the UNIX info for all DC users to avoid problems
with authentication against the print server.

Maybe i'm wrong, but to print to DC using the printer from another server
you need to install cups on DC too.

Greetings!!