[Samba] winbindd hangs and makes the system unuseable when DC is offline

Felix Matouschek felix.matouschek at vipco.de
Wed Jul 1 08:24:19 MDT 2015

Hello Rowland,

yes, indeed, "idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes" can be removed.

As for the templates, I need those lines on the DC since it won't apply the values for login shell and home dir automatically via rfc2307.
I just copied the basic config over... hence they are in my member config, although theoretically everything gets pulled from AD.

The socket options never made any problems so far...

Anyhow... i figured out how to solve this problem. Your advice to use "winbind offline logon" is correct.
However, it should be noted that offline logon won't work if either "map untrusted to domain = yes" or "winbind normalize names = yes" is set.
I had a fair struggle with that... I guess thats a bug?!

I solved the problem by letting winbind use ist own config file where both these options are disabled.
Note that when having "map untrusted to domain = yes" in the main smb.conf you have to explicitly overwrite it in with no the winbind config file.

Very strange behaviour if you ask me... I'm glad I've sorted it out.

Greetings,
Felix