[Samba] Moving DC1 to a Virtual Machine

Paul Littlefield info at paully.co.uk
Sat Jan 24 11:45:51 MST 2015

On 24/01/15 17:56, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
> The second way, and the one I would go, is
> - shutdown Samba on DC1
> - copy all databases and SysVol content to the new host,
>    into the folders, where your new OS expect them
> - disconnect the old machine from the network
> - start Samba on the new host
> It's very important that the old host is never connected to the network
> any more or you will mess up your AD!
>
> I don't know what Samba version Gentoo and Ubuntu are shipping. But I
> suggest that the OS on the new host, doesn't have an older version.

Hello Marc

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, that's what I thought... belt and braces copy all databases and sysvol content using the backup script and restore instructions on the wiki.

Yes, I was going to literally turn OFF both the old 'real' DC1 and 'real' DC2 just in case the 'virtual' DC1 went fooey and interfered with DC2.

I am also going to turn off all non-essential computers on the network so that Windows DC and login can be tested without any horrific consequences.

What do the others think? Am I being paranoid or wise?

:)

Paul Littlefield

PS: now I think about it, I amy as well 'virtualise' DC2 as well AS IS, then use that (with the same IP addresses, hostnames, etc. to test the new 'virtual' DC1 for replication, etc.

Thoughts?