[Samba] Moving DC1 to a Virtual Machine

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Sat Jan 24 12:38:40 MST 2015

Am 24.01.2015 um 19:45 schrieb Paul Littlefield:
> Yes, that's what I thought... belt and braces copy all databases and
> sysvol content using the backup script and restore instructions on the
> wiki.

If you have shutdown Samba on the DC, you don't need the backup-script.
This script just create hot-backups, so you don't have to shutdown a DC
for backup. If Samba is already stopped, then it's save to backup/copy
the files.

> Yes, I was going to literally turn OFF both the old 'real' DC1 and
> 'real' DC2 just in case the 'virtual' DC1 went fooey and interfered with
> DC2.

If you have brought the new DC1 together with DC2 and the replication
has started, you can't go back to the old DC1, if something doesn't
work. Then you will get an inconsistent AD.

> I am also going to turn off all non-essential computers on the network
> so that Windows DC and login can be tested without any horrific
> consequences.

If you want to test this before, then do this in a separated
installation and not in production. Then you're save from any horrific
consequences. Not if you do this in with other production
DCs/workstations. Even if you've turned most computers off, you don't
know what the others change in the meantime in AD (eg. machine password
changes). If you roll-back, you can run into problems.

Use a test installation and don't test in production.

Regards,
Marc