[Samba] ACL ignored on cifs mounted share

Norbert Heinzelmann N.Heinzelmann at rt.tu-cottbus.de
Thu Jan 22 06:17:36 MST 2015

Am 22.01.2015 um 13:14 schrieb Rowland Penny:
> On 22/01/15 11:52, Norbert Heinzelmann wrote:

>>> OK, this appears to be a Unix problem, the user on the client cannot
>>> 'cd' into another dir, this really has nothing to do with cifs.
>>>
>>> What does ls -la /data show ?
>>>
>>> Rowland
>>>

>> Hello Rowland,
>>
>> while my tests I set up a member server that shares a folder, so  I
>> can login as AD user. At this member server I could access the folder
>> (local). But if I mount the same folder to another member it did not
>> work. Thats why I dont think its a Unix problem but maybe I
>> misunterstood something.
>>
>> ls -la says
>> drwxrwx---+  2 root root    0 Jan 19 15:59 studis
>>

>> Norbert
>
> No it didn't, it probably said something like:
>
> drwxr-x---  3 root root 4096 Jan 22 11:18 .
> drwxr-xr-x 26 root root 4096 Jan 22 11:18 ..
> drwxr-xr--  2 root root 4096 Jan 22 11:18 studis

You are right. I cut the rest.
> But anyway working from what you posted 'drwxrwx---+'
> The 'd' means it is a directory
> The first 'rwx' means that the owner 'root' can read, write and enter
> the directory
> The second 'rwx' means that members of the 'root' group can read,
> write and enter the directory
> The last '---' means that others cannot read, write or enter the directory
> The '+' means that there are ACL's on the directory

And I mean these ACL's, as I showed in my first post, the user klaus has
rwx rights on this folder. And he is also in the group rt which has rwx
rights too. When I access this folder locally it works, only the cifs
mounted folder doesn't use the ACL's. That is what I don't understand.
> Now unless  'klaus' is a member of the 'root' group, he will not be
> able to 'cd' into the directory at the Unix level. Try changing the
> setting with 'chmod -R o+x /data'

When I change the owner, shure it works. But I want to use  ACL's.
> Rowland
Norbert