[Samba] cannot update W7 or linux clients

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Mon Jan 19 13:13:21 MST 2015

Hello Bob,

Am 19.01.2015 um 21:04 schrieb Bob of Donelson Trophy:
> Last week had an issue with W7 client could not update. I made some
> adjustments to get W7 updated. Now I am having an issue with update
> resolution. (Run apt-get update and repositories cannot be find, etc.)
> So, this tells me that I have messed up my dns resolution.

* Where did you do the adjustments? On your DNS/DC? Or on the Windows
clients?

* What kind of adjustments?

* Can the Windows clients resolve DNS requests?
  > nslookup www.google.com

> root at dc01:~# cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
> # Global parameters
> [global]
>  workgroup = DTSHRM
>  realm = DTSHRM.LAN
>  netbios name = DC01
>  server role = active directory domain controller
>  server services = s3fs, rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc, drepl,
> winbind, ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate
>  idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
>
> Shouldn't there be a dns forwarder within the smb.conf file?

If you use the internal DNS, then yes.
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_Internal_DNS#Configuration

But I see no 'dns' entry in your 'server services' line. This indicates,
that Samba uses BIND_DLZ and not the internal DNS.

What DNS backend have you setup?

Regards,
Marc