[Samba] Is there any problem that can arise from remapping gidNumber?

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 13 08:41:45 MST 2015

On 13/01/15 15:11, John Lewis wrote:
> On 01/13/2015 09:23 AM, Rowland Penny wrote:

>>> I took the defaults except for rfc2307 which I enabled. I am running
>>> Samba Version 4.1.11-Debian.
>> Yes, but what as ?? an AD DC or in classic mode i.e. just like samba3
>> Might be best if you post your smb.conf (sanitised )
>>
>> Rowland
> I attached it to this email.

OK, so you are running samba4 as an AD DC, gidNumber definitely means
something and if you want to change a users primarygroup, you need to do
something like this:

First give the group that you want to be the new primarygroup a
gidNumber (told you it means something)
next, make sure the user is  a member of this group, if not, add user to
group
get the groups RID
change the users primaryGroupID attribute to the groups RID
AD will do the rest

Rowland