[Samba] specify alternative port for samba internal dns server

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Fri Feb 27 07:48:34 MST 2015

Hello Ben,

Am 27.02.2015 um 01:14 schrieb Ben Cohen:
> My goal is for the samba dns server to be authoritative for 'ad.mydomain.com'
> but not for mydomain.com.

If ad.mydomain.com is your AD domain, then AD is authoritative for that.
But it's not for mydomain.com.

> The dns server that the clients in my domain use
> is statically configured to resolve all requests for ad.mydomain.com
> via the samba internal dns -- I believe this is exactly what is
> required for samba to function ...  Is this incorrect somehow?

It doesn't matter, which DNS the clients use. You only must ensure, that
this DNS server is able to resolve the zones, your AD uses. E. g. we use
a BIND server at work on one site, that forwards all request for the AD
zone to the AD DNS servers.

If you want to run DNS on a different port, then you have to use
BIND_DLZ and not the internal DNS. BIND you can configure to run on a
different port. But as already said before: You have to make sure, that
the DNS your AD servers and clients uses, is able to resolve the AD
zones or your AD won't work AD heavily relies on a working DNS.

Regards,
Marc