[Samba] Back with my UID problems

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 25 03:18:04 MST 2015

On 25/02/15 09:06, Brett Wynkoop wrote:
> Greeting-
>
> I had to take a break from mucking with samba because some other things
> came up.
>
> Let me recap the situation:
>
> . I have an existing network of various unix boxes that use NIS and NFS
>    at the moment.
>
> . I have to drop some windows boxes into the network.
>
> . For policy reasons certain staff are in the local password file on
>    each server, everyone else is in NIS.
>
> . UIDs are in sync across the network using NIS and of
>    course /etc/passwd is kept in sync for the "local accounts"
>
> . Existing users need to have their CURRENT UID when they authenticate
>    using SAMBA and attach shares using smb.
>
> . I just created user wynkoop using pdbedit on a brand new install of
>    4.1.17 and when I attach using smbclient and upload a file the owner
>    is 30001, which is not my UID.  pdbedit -L shows my username followed
>    by my correct UID.
>
> There must be a simple solution, but so far it escapes me.  I may drop
> back to samba 3.x or 2.x where I know how to make sure I get the UID I
> want, but the goal is in the end to shutdown NIS and use just the LDAP
> and Kerberos provided by samba.  I know I can do find and chown stuff,
> but really that is not the best solution.
>
> So.........help, and yes I have been RTFMing with no luck.
>
> I would also love to know how to re-use a previously autoasigned UID in
> samba.  There are use cases for removing a user and creating a new user
> with a previously assigned UID.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Brett

OK, going to need more info here, can you post the smb.conf you have
tried so far. You mention that you want to use the LDAP and Kerberos
provided by samba, this will mean that you will need to run samba4 as an
AD DC, yet you refer to creating users with pdbedit?

Lets find out how you have been trying to use samba4 and go from there,
I wouldn't go back to using samba2 and samba3 may go EOL next week.

Rowland