[Samba] Back with my UID problems

Brett Wynkoop wynkoop+samba at wynn.com
Wed Feb 25 02:06:48 MST 2015

Greeting-

I had to take a break from mucking with samba because some other things
came up.

Let me recap the situation:

. I have an existing network of various unix boxes that use NIS and NFS
  at the moment.

. I have to drop some windows boxes into the network.

. For policy reasons certain staff are in the local password file on
  each server, everyone else is in NIS.

. UIDs are in sync across the network using NIS and of
  course /etc/passwd is kept in sync for the "local accounts"

. Existing users need to have their CURRENT UID when they authenticate
  using SAMBA and attach shares using smb.

. I just created user wynkoop using pdbedit on a brand new install of
  4.1.17 and when I attach using smbclient and upload a file the owner
  is 30001, which is not my UID.  pdbedit -L shows my username followed
  by my correct UID.

There must be a simple solution, but so far it escapes me.  I may drop
back to samba 3.x or 2.x where I know how to make sure I get the UID I
want, but the goal is in the end to shutdown NIS and use just the LDAP
and Kerberos provided by samba.  I know I can do find and chown stuff,
but really that is not the best solution.

So.........help, and yes I have been RTFMing with no luck.

I would also love to know how to re-use a previously autoasigned UID in
samba.  There are use cases for removing a user and creating a new user
with a previously assigned UID.

Thanks.

-Brett

--

wynkoop at wynn.com               http://prd4.wynn.com/wynkoop/pgp-keys.txt
917-642-6925

Amendment III

No soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without
the consent of the owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be
prescribed by law.