[Samba] recreate/re-provision DNS db from scratch?

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Tue Feb 24 13:12:28 MST 2015

Hello Bram,

Am 24.02.2015 um 12:37 schrieb Bram Matthys:
> Is there a way to re-initialize/re-provision DNS?

No.

> well.. I suppose since I started with 4.0.6 (migrated from Samba 3.x) but
> from a users' point of view everything worked fine.. it was mostly the DNS
> management from group policy that wasn't working.
> Today I wanted to install 4.1.17 but after the upgrade things go bad. On one
> hand DNS seems to work fine (can resolve the DC, etc).

You did an update from an old version. There were some changes
meanwhile, you have to pay attention:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Updating_Samba#Other_changes_you_should_pay_attention_to.2C_when_updating

- How many DCs do you have?
- What Samba versions do your DCs run?
- Does replication works?
- Do you use the internal DNS or BIND_DLZ?
- Is Samba/BIND listening on port 53 (netstat -taunp|grep :53)
- Does DNS entries resolve on the server (try
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_AD_DC_HOWTO#Testing_DNS)

Regards,
Marc