[Samba] Winbind backend : rid is too much underappreciated

miguelmedalha at sapo.pt miguelmedalha at sapo.pt
Sat Feb 21 13:30:53 MST 2015

> Deterministic conversion from SID to UID rocks! Simple and elegant.
> Everything is working in just a few minutes. Great! More people
> should know about this.
> Just use the same ranges in all your servers and you will have
> consistent IDs in all machines.

The icing on the cake, as they say, could be a small schema extension
to the Active Directory. Then, on  domain provision with the
samba-tool we would input the wanted rid back end range. This would be
  read by every member server and automatically configured. The
benefits of centralized management of UID/GID without the pain.