[Samba] Runing Samba on Raspi - was: Re: ps aux | grep smbd

Jed Evnull jedevnull at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 15:14:43 MST 2015

> From: Rowland Penny <rowlandpenny at googlemail.com>
> To: samba at lists.samba.org
> Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 09:29:18 +0000
> Subject: Re: [Samba] ps aux | grep smbd
> On 17/02/15 05:14, Jed Evnull wrote:
>
>> I recently compiled samba-3.2.15 for a Raspberry Pi V2 and while it seems
>> to be working fine, when I  ps aux | grep smbd I'm shown two or three
>> successively numbered smbd jobs. The smbd log isn't showing anything
>> weird,
>> what's up with this?
>>

> >>Nothing, absolutely nothing.
>
> >>What I find weird is that, by choice, you are using a samba version that
> went EOL nearly 5 years ago.
>
> >>Rowland
>
> LOL, it is weird, isn't it?  I wish I could say that I was hand-crafting a
> super-lightweight samba for my RasPi2, but the fact is that 3.2.15 has been
> the only release I've been able to successfully compile statically.  Every
> attempt with more modern releases thus far has ended in failure.

Static cross-compiles aren't a topic that generate much help. I've been
trying for over a month to build a static samba for Android w/o any joy.
Google was no help, and even this list had no help to offer. I decided that
I would try a native compile on my new pi and see if I made any progress.

The static 3.2.15 works fine on the pi, but fails under android since it
can't find user root or guest. But that's another issue, I don't expect any
help debugging such elderly code :)

Thanks for the replies and the info about the child processes.