[Samba] Problems in SAMBA 3.3 to 4.0 migration

soonerdave soonerdew at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 10:49:09 MST 2015

Roland (and any others who are still following this)

I had an epiphany earlier today (that I cannot immediately test) that may
explain my situation regarding my domain's various machine accounts suddenly
no longer authenticating properly (credential check failing). I'd appreciate
a sanity check on the theory.

When I built my Samba 4.1 BDC, net rpc joindomain worked against the
existing PDC. However, *at the time I added it*, my PDC was Samba *3.3.4*. I
then updated the 3.3.4 box to *3.6.24*, and *now * observe client machines
(including my new BDC) whose credential checks are failing. I believe there
is a default higher level of security under 3.6.24 that is affecting session
negotiation, or security protocol, that in turn is causing the credential
checks to fail. Would this not be related to possibly secure channel
communication or encryption bit length - anything that might cause checksum
calculations to change by virtue of the change in SAMBA versions? (Thinking
in terms of ntlm_auth, schannel security settings in smb.conf that might
have changed, etc).

Sorry if this doesn't make a great deal of sense at this point, I'm writing
this in a hurry and it probably isn't as polished as I'd like.

Thanks for any thoughts.