[Samba] Problems in SAMBA 3.3 to 4.0 migration

soonerdave soonerdew at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 05:03:37 MST 2015

Here's where I am on this...

I gave up trying the net rpc vampire. No matter what I tried, I could not
overcome the seg fault. I would get blank results for net rpc samdump as
well. I manually copied my smbpasswd and groups files and manually added the
mappings.

In the midst of this, however, something more immediate and concerning
arose. Every machine in my domain os now failing a machine credential check.
The logs show rejected credentials for my new BDC and all my other Win7 Pro
clients. Trouble is the smbpasswd files are unchanged from their originals,
so I know the machine account passwords haven't changed, and surely the
password for my new BDC hasn"t expired already. So that suggests to me I've
changed a setting in smb.conf that's affected machine credential
authentication. The question is what??

Users are logging in with cached credentials from these machines, so for now
I'm ok, but I fear I"m on borrowed time. What on earth might be a suspect
for the credential check failures?? Sure smells to me like a session
encryption or signature problem causing wrong values to be computed, but I'm
just not sure where the most likely suspect is. If I can get past this, I'll
be happy.

Thanks in advance.