[Samba] SOLVED RPC Server is unavailable . . .

Steve Ankeny steve_a at cinergymetro.net
Sat Feb 14 16:50:59 MST 2015

On 02/14/2015 05:43 PM, Rowland Penny wrote:

>>> Try turning off the sogo parts and try again.
>>
>> Bingo!
>>
>> I commented out the OpenChange portions of 'smb.conf'
>>
>> ### Configuration required by OpenChange server ###
>>     #dcerpc endpoint servers = epmapper, mapiproxy, dnsserver
>>     #dcerpc_mapiproxy:server = true
>>     #dcerpc_mapiproxy:interfaces = exchange_emsmdb, exchange_nsp,
>> exchange_ds_rfr
>>     ### Configuration required by OpenChange server ###
>>
>>     #mapistore:namedproperties = mysql
>>     #namedproperties:mysql_user = openchange-user
>>     #namedproperties:mysql_pass = passwd
>>     #namedproperties:mysql_host = localhost
>>     #namedproperties:mysql_db = openchange
>>     #mapistore:indexing_backend =
>> mysql://openchange-user:passwd@localhost/openchange
>>     #mapiproxy:openchangedb =
>> mysql://openchange-user:passwd@localhost/openchange
>>
>> And, I temporarily stopped the 'sogo' & 'memcache' services, and one
>> of my machines joined the domain.
>>
>> Thanks!  I appreciate your help and will move on from here. I've
>> learned a lot.
>>

> If you are interested why it didn't work before:
>
> dcerpc endpoint servers = epmapper, mapiproxy, dnsserver
>
> Is turning off this lot:
>
> wkssvc, rpcecho, samr, netlogon, lsarpc, spoolss, drsuapi, dssetup,
> unixinfo, browser, eventlog6, backupkey
>
> If you run 'samba-tool testparm -v' , you will get all the defaults as
> well as what is in smb.conf, amongst which is:
>
> dcerpc endpoint servers = epmapper, wkssvc, rpcecho, samr, netlogon,
> lsarpc, spoolss, drsuapi, dssetup, unixinfo, browser, eventlog6,
> backupkey, dnsserver
>
> So by setting 'dcerpc endpoint server' as you did, you have turned all
> the rest off, try this line instead:
>
> dcerpc endpoint servers = +mapiproxy
>
> Rowland

I suspected the dcerpc stuff was making an RPC call before Samba could
respond to the Windows RPC, but I didn't think of it until you mentioned
it.  The line is as Inverse suggests, but I'll try your suggestion instead.

Thanks, again.  I'll be following the Samba list for awhile but
hopefully I'm ready to move forward.

I'll be using the Microsoft snap-in for AD management, but I've already
used some of the Samba tools, and I've already run things like
'samba-tool testparm' but not with the '-v' parameter.  That's amazing!

I'm really impressed with the response and competence of the help I've
received.