[Samba] SOLVED RPC Server is unavailable . . .

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 14 15:43:57 MST 2015

On 14/02/15 19:45, Steve Ankeny wrote:
> answers below
>
> On 02/14/2015 02:10 PM, Rowland Penny wrote:
>> On 14/02/15 18:05, Steve Ankeny wrote:
>>> answers below
>>>
>>> On 02/14/2015 08:22 AM, Rowland Penny wrote:
>>>
>>> I've made that change with no change in the results.  I've also
>>> started 'winbind' with no change.
>>
>> No, I think you will find that you tried to start winbind and it
>> wouldn't.
>>
>> Just what samba packages do you have installed ?
>
> adam at sogo:~$ sudo dpkg --get-selections | egrep "samba|smb|nmb|winbind"
> libnss-winbind:amd64                              install
> libpam-winbind:amd64                            install
> libsmbclient:amd64                                 install
> python-samba                                         install
> samba                                                     install
> samba-common                                      install
> samba-common-bin                                install
> samba-dev                                              install
> samba-dsdb-modules                              install
> samba-libs:amd64                                  install
> samba-vfs-modules                                install
> smbclient                                                install
> winbind                                                   install
>

>> have you moved the krb5.conf file, that samba4 creates when the
>> domain is provisioned, to /etc/ ? This should be in the private/ dir
>> i.e /var/lib/samba/private/krb5.conf on debian
>>>
>>> I had not considered this but after copying it to /etc/ it made no
>>> difference in results.

>>> Yes, 'samba,' 'samba-ad-dc' and 'smbd' are running and 'nmbd' and
>>> 'winbind' are not. they are built
>>
>> That is not actually what I asked, but it's close, nmbd & winbind
>> shouldn't be running, they are built into the samba daemon, does 'ps
>> ax' show 'samba -D' & 'smbd -D' ?
>
> adam at sogo:~$ sudo ps ax | egrep "samba|smbd|nmbd|winbind"
>   815 ?        Ss     0:00 samba -D
>  1458 ?        S      0:00 samba -D
>  1460 ?        Ss     0:02 /usr/sbin/smbd -D --option=server role
> check:inhibit=yes --foreground
>  1461 ?        S      0:00 samba -D
>  1462 ?        S      0:00 samba -D
>  1464 ?        S      0:03 samba -D
>  1473 ?        S      0:00 samba -D
>  1479 ?        S      0:00 samba -D
>  1483 ?        S      0:16 samba -D
>  1487 ?        S      0:00 samba -D
>  1490 ?        S      0:00 samba -D
>  1491 ?        S      0:09 samba -D
>  1492 ?        S      0:01 samba -D
>  1501 ?        S      0:03 samba -D
>  1519 ?        S      0:00 /usr/sbin/smbd -D --option=server role
> check:inhibit=yes --foreground
>  3960 pts/1    S+     0:00 egrep --color=auto samba|smbd|nmbd|winbind
>

>> Rowland
>>>

>> Try turning off the sogo parts and try again.
>
> Bingo!
>
> I commented out the OpenChange portions of 'smb.conf'
>
> ### Configuration required by OpenChange server ###
> [...]

If you are interested why it didn't work before:

dcerpc endpoint servers = epmapper, mapiproxy, dnsserver

Is turning off this lot:

wkssvc, rpcecho, samr, netlogon, lsarpc, spoolss, drsuapi, dssetup,
unixinfo, browser, eventlog6, backupkey

If you run 'samba-tool testparm -v' , you will get all the defaults as
well as what is in smb.conf, amongst which is:

dcerpc endpoint servers = epmapper, wkssvc, rpcecho, samr, netlogon,
lsarpc, spoolss, drsuapi, dssetup, unixinfo, browser, eventlog6,
backupkey, dnsserver

So by setting 'dcerpc endpoint server' as you did, you have turned all
the rest off, try this line instead:

dcerpc endpoint servers = +mapiproxy

Rowland