[Samba] Problems in SAMBA 3.3 to 4.0 migration

soonerdave soonerdew at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 22:07:27 MST 2015

* sigh * this is becoming an exercise in frustration.

* Performing a direct migration of my Samba 3.3.4 box by copying .tdb and
related files to the new machine looks like a non-starter, as the
group_mappings file went from an ldb to a .tdb format, and it appears the
only conversion occurs during an in-place version upgrade.

* The next step, it appears, looks to be some sort of upgrade to the
*existing* 3.3.4 box to a later Samba incarnation. That *might* solve what I
think now is a dependency issue that's subsequently caused wbinfo to stop
working entirely. It *might* also solve whatever SMB signing issue is
preventing net rpc vampire from working on the BDC.

* Given the age of the setup, are there recommended "increments" for
upgrading a 3.3.4 setup? Or should I be able to go to at least 3.6 (the last
3.x series release) directly in place without much risk?

-David