[Samba] debug log level and tar

Philip Parsons (Velindre - Medical Physics) Philip.Parsons at wales.nhs.uk
Thu Dec 24 14:39:07 UTC 2015

Hi all,

Apologies if this is an obvious question!  I'm not overly Linux savvy, so please bear with me.

I noticed that BackupPC runs the following for its SMB based backups:

$smbClientPath \\$host\$shareName $I_option -U $userName -E -d 1 -c tarmode\ full -Tc$X_option - $fileList

However, the samba page (https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages/smbclient.1.html) says the following about the -T (tar) flag option, c:

"c - Create a tar file on UNIX. Must be followed by the name of a tar file, tape device or "-" for standard output. If using standard output you must turn the log level to its lowest value -d0 to avoid corrupting your tar file. This flag is mutually exclusive with the x flag."

Is it a problem for the tar that BackupPC is using level 1 logging?

Thanks in advance!
Phil.