[Samba] restarting samba using a cron job on Debian

Lars Hanke debian at lhanke.de
Wed Dec 23 19:04:06 UTC 2015

Hi Rowland,

>> > Why bother with all the above, just use samba-ad-dc instead.
>> Yes, I streamlined the script somewhat. Let's see what happens when
>> replication fails next time.
>> > You are going to have to supply more info, is there anything in the
>> logs
>> > when replication fails?

Didn't yet raise the log level to 10, but will do now. However, the new
script did an automatic restart, which apparently worked fine, but
actually did wreak obscure havoc.

Today I got reports that write access to the file servers was erratic
and slow. Checking that secondary DC I found:

# samba-tool drs showrepl
Failed to connect host 172.16.10.17 on port 135 -
NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_REFUSED

something I did not check for, ps aux revealed:

root     23501  3.6  0.6 493684 49016 ?        S    Dez11 621:24
/usr/sbin/samba -D

i.e. the process eats a lot of CPU and was quite resistive to being
killed. The automatic restart happened on Dec 21st! The primary DC had
some 800 consecutive failures. I restarted the container and everything
worked fine.

I'll set the log level to 10 and we'll see what happens ...

Regards,
  - lars-