[Samba] Samba 4 slower ?

nagendra ps nagendra.shiv at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 07:27:02 UTC 2015

Hi All,

I have samba 3.6 and samba 4.2 running on 2 different freebsd machines.
Both are virtual machines and have 1GB Ethernet and exact same configurations.
Samba is joined to a 2K8 server(security = ADS).
Both use a minimal similar smb.conf.

Am using smbtorture bench.nbench from another freebsd machine.

Samba 3.6 Throughput is at: 12.6165 MB/sec
Samba 4.2 Throughput is at:  1.5359 MB/sec

4.2 appears almost 10X slower. What could be going wrong for me ?

Is there an official bench-marking of Samba 3 and Samba 4, which I
could refer to ?

btw.. netbench seems to be going over SMB1 . Is there a benchmarking
tool which uses SMB2/SMB3 ?

Thanks,
Nagendra