[Samba] Fix for Windows 8.1 RSAT error when creating users

Daniel Menes dan at shragmir.com
Thu Dec 10 20:59:59 UTC 2015

I created a new Samba4 AD DC, and attempted to add users and groups from
a Windows 8.1 computer using the Remote Server Administration Tools.
While I was able to create groups just fine, attempting to create a user
failed with the message "An Error Occurred. Contact your System
Administrator."

A quick Google shows that others on this list have had this and similar
problems, but I was unable to find a satisfactory solution here. I
thought you might be interested in what worked for me.

According to Microsoft, there is a known issue with a Windows Update
which may appear as KB3000850 or KB2992611. Others have suggested
removing this update, which may or may not be practical. However if you
look at http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3000850 in the "Known
issues in this update" gives a registry hack fix.

In regedit, under the key "
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Cryptography\Protect\Providers\df9d8cd0-1501-11d1-8c7a-00c04fc297eb",
create a DWORD entry with name "ProtectionPolicy" and value "1".

After a reboot, this fixed the problem for me.

--Dan Menes