[Samba] wiki member server page erorr ?

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Dec 9 11:17:13 UTC 2015

On 09/12/15 10:43, L.P.H. van Belle wrote:
> Hai, marcio, below pointed a thing ..
>

> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_Samba_as_an_AD_Domain_Member#Using_domain_accounts.2Fgroups_in_OS_commands
>

> This looks wrong to me.
>

> Using domain accounts/groups in OS commands
>
> administrator:*:10000:10000:Administrator:/home/Administrator:/bin/bash
>

> We should not use administrator as example...
>
> In this example we now have 2 ! administrators
>
> Administrator UID=0  ( on the DC )
>
> Administrator UID=1000  ( on the Member  )
>

> Very confusing.
>

> Can anyone explain why administrator is abused here en mainwhile we are telling not to give Administrator a UID ?

The problem is that there are two ways to use the windows user
'Administrator' on a Unix machine, you can map 'Administrator' to the
Unix user 'root' via a line in smb.conf and a mapping file, this is the
easiest way.
You can also give the 'Administrator' user a uidNumber, this turns it
into a normal Unix user and further setup is required to allow this user
to work as the root user, something that in essence gives you two 'root'
users and is probably not a good idea.

I will think how to edit the page, I do not think giving a uidNumber to
'Administrator' is a good idea and probably the wiki shouldn't show it.

Rowland