[Samba] template shell RFC2307 loginShell

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Dec 7 19:07:32 UTC 2015

On 07/12/15 18:49, Jeff Sadowski wrote:
> But that doesn't work for me. As I am saying
> If I set it like that I only see 7 domain users with getent passwd
> experimenting I see if I set
>
>  idmap config * : range = 2000-7999
>  idmap config DOMAIN:range = 8000-99999
>
> I see all my users.
>
> which is really odd because all my users have uids above 10000
>
> What other trouble shooting steps can I take to see why this is acting
> this way?
>
> I edit /etc/samba/smb.conf
> I run a script with the following
>
> service winbind stop
> service samba stop
> net cache flush
> rm -f /var/lib/samba/*.tdb
> rm -f /var/lib/samba/group_mapping.ldb
> sleep 1
> service samba start
> service winbind start
>
> then I do
> getent passwd|wc -l
>
> ########################3
>
> when
>
>  idmap config DOMAIN:range = 10000-99999
>
> # getent passwd|wc -l
> 47
>
> when
>
>  idmap config DOMAIN:range = 9000-99999
>
> # getent passwd|wc -l
> 109
>
> when
>
>  idmap config DOMAIN:range = 8000-99999
>
> # getent passwd|wc -l
> 801
>
> that seems to be as many as I can get
> still doesn't add up as
>
> # cat /etc/passwd|wc -l
> 40
>
> # wbinfo -u|wc -l
> 798
>
> So I should have 838
> users.
> But no matter what I set idmap config DOMAIN:range to I don't see any
> more than 801 users with getent passwd

OK, lets step back a bit here, can you confirm:
All your users have a uidNumber attribute containing a unique number
between 10000 to 99999 ?
Does 'Domain Users' have a gidNumber attribute containing a number
between 10000 to 99999 ?

Any user that doesn't have a uidNumber, or one outside the 10000-99999
will be ignored, could this be your problem?

What OS is the client running on and what is the AD DC ?

Rowland