[Samba] After joining domain, Samba uses the workgroup name, not the FQDN when running the net ads command

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Dec 7 18:23:42 UTC 2015

On 07/12/15 18:04, Jonathan S. Fisher wrote:
> Hey Rowland, be kind and avoid passive aggressive comments. I'm just
> looking to try and get this to work, thanks. If I knew everything
> already, I wouldn't be here asking questions and trying to solve my
> own problem. I appreciate your help so far, but if you don't have
> anything nice say, please just ignore this thread.

If I upset you, I apologise, but I was posting what I was thinking, you
are trying to get Samba working with a strange setup and you do not seem
to want to take advice. Get it working in a known way and then adapt it
to your network.

> So:
> jonathan.fisher at freeradius:~$ sudo hostname -y
> hostname: Local domain name not set
> jonathan.fisher at freeradius:~$ sudo hostname -d
> windows.corp.springventuregroup.com
> <http://windows.corp.springventuregroup.com>
> jonathan.fisher at freeradius:~$ sudo hostname -f
> freeradius.windows.corp.springventuregroup.com
> <http://freeradius.windows.corp.springventuregroup.com>
>
> Unfortunately, since this box is an LXC container, I can't run the
> syctl command:
> jonathan.fisher at freeradius:~$ sysctl -w
> kernel.domainname="windows.corp.XXX.com <http://windows.corp.XXX.com>"
> sysctl: permission denied on key 'kernel.domainname'

And this is (as far as I can remember) the first time you have mentioned
that you are using an LXC container, could this have something to do
with your problem? Is there any way you could setup a client on bare
metal and once you have got this working, base your LXC setup on this.

Normally getting a Unix client to work with an AD DC is fairly easy, as
long as you are aware of the pitfalls.

Rowland