[Samba] After joining domain, Samba uses the workgroup name, not the FQDN when running the net ads command

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Dec 4 09:33:58 UTC 2015

On 04/12/15 09:21, Sven Schwedas wrote:
> On 2015-12-04 10:11, Rowland penny wrote:
>> I still think it is his weird dns setup, were he has a dnsmasq server
>> replicating what the DCs know (or is supposed to). I think the sheer
>> fact that he didn't know what lmhosts is, says a lot.
> We're using such a setup in production without any problems. How about
> less wild blind guessing and user shaming, and more actual help?

Sven, you may be using a similar system, but it isn't recommended. The
OP is having problems getting a Samba domain member working, I have
tried to point him in the direction of a known working set up, once he
has this working, what he does with it, is up to him. He may be able to
use the dnsmasq server, I don't know, but if he has a working system and
it stops working when he adds in the dnsmasq server, he will know where
to look, won't he!

Rowland