[Samba] Samba Internal DNS vs. BIND_DLZ

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 07:51:30 UTC 2015

On 28/08/15 01:39, Jim Seymour wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Aug 2015 21:23:48 +0100
> Rowland Penny <rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>> No, please No, setting up bind dlz is not a PITA as you put it.
> Yes, actually, it is. In my opinion, of course.
>
>> You
>> really need to run a DNS server that is authoritative for your
>> samba domain and anything else is forwarded to another DNS server
>> that knows about everything else ...
> [snip]
>
> And that's what running BIND on, say, 192.168.0.1 on eth0, and Samba
> at 192.168.0.2 on eth0:0 would accomplish.  Samba has built-in DNS.
> Why do I need to go to the trouble of running *two* servers for BIND,
> bastardizing the BIND on one of them, when I can do everything I want
> in one?
>
> I am *not* going to be running Samba on one server and everything
> else on another.  This is Linux, not Windows.  It can walk and chew
> gum at the same time ;)

I run samba 4, Bind9 and DHCP all on the same machine, what you seem to
be missing is that you run bind9 instead of the internal samba4 DNS
server. Whatever DNS server you do use, it needs to only know about the
samba4 dns domain (which also needs to be the realm name), anything else
it gets from its forwarder.

Rowland