[Samba] Samba Internal DNS vs. BIND_DLZ

Jim Seymour jseymour at jseymour.com
Fri Aug 28 00:39:23 UTC 2015

On Thu, 27 Aug 2015 21:23:48 +0100
Rowland Penny <rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

> No, please No, setting up bind dlz is not a PITA as you put it.

Yes, actually, it is. In my opinion, of course.

> You
> really need to run a DNS server that is authoritative for your
> samba domain and anything else is forwarded to another DNS server
> that knows about everything else ...
[snip]

And that's what running BIND on, say, 192.168.0.1 on eth0, and Samba
at 192.168.0.2 on eth0:0 would accomplish.  Samba has built-in DNS.
Why do I need to go to the trouble of running *two* servers for BIND,
bastardizing the BIND on one of them, when I can do everything I want
in one?

I am *not* going to be running Samba on one server and everything
else on another.  This is Linux, not Windows.  It can walk and chew
gum at the same time ;)

[snip]

> If you are not wedded to ubuntu ...
[snip]

We've standardized on it.

> https://secure.bazuin.nl/scripts/
>
> Even if you don't want to use Debian and can read and understand a
> bash script, they may help you when/if you re-install.

I understand bash, and a good many other languages, as well.  Thanks
for the pointer.  I'll take a look.

Regards,
Jim
filtering.  If you reply to this email and your email is