[Samba] Samba Internal DNS vs. BIND_DLZ

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Aug 27 21:49:25 UTC 2015

On 08/27/2015 05:33 PM, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 27/08/15 22:20, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

>>> ER, you don't actually need to add any extra schemas, it is all
>>> built into samba4 when run as an AD DC, if you are struggling to
>>> understand this, just think a windows AD DC but running on Linux.
>>
>> I abandoned Win servers around the time of Win2000!  No AD experience
>> here!  I still run my home as an NT Domain; I am trying to get with
>> the future here.
>>
>>> The next thing to understand is if you want an AD DC and want to use
>>> an rpm based OS (centos, clearos etc) then you cannot use the distro
>>> packages, at the moment, there aren't any. What you can use are the
>>> packages supplied by Sernet: http://www.samba.plus/home/
>>
>> That is why I have had help buiding the sernet 4.2 for me distro.
>> yes, this is a Centos 7 system.  And more it is the development
>> distro for C7-armv7l.  So some stuff is not present.  But the my
>> sernet 4.2 rpms were built on the QEMU server they are using for all
>> this work.
>>
>> ERGO, I SHOULD have everything in some place resembling where sernet
>> puts it.
>>

>>> This is not a bad thing really, as you get more uptodate versions,
>>> 4.2.3 at the moment
>>
>> For now we will have to build our own.  If I show this to be viable,
>> perhaps we can automate it.
>>

> OOPS, sorry forgot you are on ARM, but having said that, if Sernet
> have supplied you with an ARM samba4 package it should be able to be
> used an AD DC unless they said otherwise, might be an idea to ask them.

One of the C7-arm developers pulled down the sernet 4.2 Centos7 source
and built that on the armv7l build system.  It completed without errors.

> Initially when you install the X86 Sernet packages, they do not know
> what they are going to do, AD DC, NT4-style PDC, member server or a
> standalone workgroup server, it can be any of these. It is up to the
> sysadmin (i.e. you) to tell it what to be, you do this by setting up
> smb.conf for all except the first, an AD DC. To set up an AD DC, you
> need to run 'samba-tool domain provision' , this will populate,
> amongst others, the private dir.

I just rsynced ALL the files in /etc/samba and /var/lib/samba/*.tdb to
my new system and am ready to run the classicupgrade.

Figured 'this is only a test'.  Go for it.