[Samba] Samba Internal DNS vs. BIND_DLZ

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 21:33:08 UTC 2015

On 27/08/15 22:20, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> On 08/27/2015 05:10 PM, Rowland Penny wrote:
>> On 27/08/15 22:00, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>> Ah, LDAP is included within Samba, I find.  Don't install provided
>>> one...
>>>
>>> I suppose I will have to find what schemas, particularly if the bind
>>> dlz schema is included?
>>
>> ER, you don't actually need to add any extra schemas, it is all built
>> into samba4 when run as an AD DC, if you are struggling to understand
>> this, just think a windows AD DC but running on Linux.
>
> I abandoned Win servers around the time of Win2000!  No AD experience
> here!  I still run my home as an NT Domain; I am trying to get with
> the future here.
>
>> The next thing to understand is if you want an AD DC and want to use
>> an rpm based OS (centos, clearos etc) then you cannot use the distro
>> packages, at the moment, there aren't any. What you can use are the
>> packages supplied by Sernet: http://www.samba.plus/home/
>
> That is why I have had help buiding the sernet 4.2 for me distro. yes,
> this is a Centos 7 system.  And more it is the development distro for
> C7-armv7l.  So some stuff is not present.  But the my sernet 4.2 rpms
> were built on the QEMU server they are using for all this work.
>
> ERGO, I SHOULD have everything in some place resembling where sernet
> puts it.
>

>> This is not a bad thing really, as you get more uptodate versions,
>> 4.2.3 at the moment
>
> For now we will have to build our own.  If I show this to be viable,
> perhaps we can automate it.

OOPS, sorry forgot you are on ARM, but having said that, if Sernet have
supplied you with an ARM samba4 package it should be able to be used an
AD DC unless they said otherwise, might be an idea to ask them.

Initially when you install the X86 Sernet packages, they do not know
what they are going to do, AD DC, NT4-style PDC, member server or a
standalone workgroup server, it can be any of these. It is up to the
sysadmin (i.e. you) to tell it what to be, you do this by setting up
smb.conf for all except the first, an AD DC. To set up an AD DC, you
need to run 'samba-tool domain provision' , this will populate, amongst
others, the private dir.

Rowland