[Samba] Questions about Samba 4

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 19:29:51 UTC 2015

On 24/08/15 19:55, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 09:21:23AM +0200, Sven Schwedas wrote:
>> Depends on your needs. If you don't need samba file/printer sharing
>> /from/ the member, I'd recommend using SSSD. It's much more stable and
>> reliable than winbindd.
> Can't let comments like this pass. sssd does something slightly
> different than winbindd, so may or may not be what the person
> needs.
>
> winbindd is extremely reliable and fully supported by the Samba
> Team, please don't post FUD about Samba components. If you have
> winbindd problems, post bug reports not FUD.
>
> Thanks,
>
> 	Jeremy.

Got to agree with Jeremy here, I initially thought sssd was great and
better than winbind, this was only because I wasn't setting winbind up
correctly. Once I twigged what I was doing wrong and set up winbind
correctly, it all fell into place and I stopped using sssd, for normal
use you do not need it, the same goes for nslcd.

Rowland