[Samba] Hardware decisions

jolly eissucht jollyeissucht at web.de
Mon Aug 3 15:35:22 UTC 2015

Thank you very much for your emails! This helps a lot. There's a lot
information about samba and debian to find via uncle google but when it
comes to generell ideas about planning and structure and you have to
figure it out all alone there's no too much to find via internet....

>Maybe a good questions is: What is the current purpose of this hosts.
Or what hardware are you currently using for the file-/backup server and
for the host controlling your domain (if you have one)?

there's no current purpose. We had an old Windows 2003 Server on the
weakest machine I mentioned before. But the hard disk broke down and now
it's unusable. It was a question of time...

For windows automatic task-planned backup I had just an external hard
disk. The windows 2003 server had no profiles, no home directories, just
some shares (all in all about 10GB) and the logins of course. This is
quite embarassing, I know but now as Windows 2003 Server broke down I
finally get help in the form of another employee for a month who takes
over day-to-day business so that I can finally focus on some really good
server solution.. no time before...

and the "newer" servers I mentioned before were also bought before my
time... so, as it seems now, they are quite too strong
(over-dimensioned) for my purposes....

I have a NAS storage with 4 drives so I consider putting the backup on
this one... like the one in the picture:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Attached_Storage ... it has 4
drives with 500GB each... I consider RAID 1... but how can I configure
that in my samba 4/debian jessie environment? can you recommend
interfaces to configure the NAS? I have no experience with NAS. Can I
put debian jessie on a NAS?

thank you again!
jolly