[Samba] roaming profile doubles in size at client logout

claudiu vasadi claudiu.vasadi at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 03:43:21 MDT 2015

Hello all,

I have a FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE amd64 VM, with 4GB RAM and ZFS, running on an
ESX host.

I installed and configured samba 4 with the following configuration:

[global]
workgroup = TST-DOM
realm = TST-DOM.TLD.COM
netbios name = SAMBA4
idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
        logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U

[netlogon]
path = /var/db/samba4/sysvol/tst-dom.tld.com/scripts
read only = No

[sysvol]
path = /var/db/samba4/sysvol
read only = No

[Profiles]
     path = /samba/Profiles/
     read only = no
     store dos attributes = Yes
     create mask = 0600
     directory mask = 0700
     profile acls = yes
     csc policy = disable

I've connected a Windows 7 client and logged in with a roaming profile
user, copied some 4GB of data in the profile and logged out. Surely enough,
the data was synchronized but when I login and logout again, the profile
gets copied on the samba server in full versus just the modified data.

For instance, if the profile on the server has 4GB and I logout from the
client, the profile will grow up to 8GB and then drop down to 4GB (in case
no new data get's added meanwhile). This looks to me like instead of doing
an incremental diff, the whole profile get's copied and then compared and
the same data deleted.

Is there some setting that I'm missing in the conf or is this normal?

--
Best regards,
Claudiu Vasadi