[Samba] Migration to Samba 4

Andrey Repin anrdaemon at yandex.ru
Mon Apr 27 12:07:31 MDT 2015

Greetings, Sonic!

>> It sounds to me that you are not going about this the right way, you need to
>> follow the instructions on the wiki page:
>>
>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_Classic_Upgrade_%28NT4-style_domain_to_AD%29

> That's the wiki page I used.

> The LDAP stuff doesn't apply as the current PDC is using tdbsam.
> There are no duplicate SIDs.
> I don't get the "Provisioning Error: Please remove common user/group
> names before upgrade" message so I assume that's not an issue.
> I changed the netbios name in the copied smb.conf as instructed as the
> new AD will be a different box with a different hostname.
> I copied the databases listed under the classicupgrade process
> section. That is: secrets.tdb, schannel_store.tdb, passdb.tdb,
> gencache_notrans.tdb, group_mapping.tdb, and account_policy.tdb. Is
> that list complete or just an example? Do I need more .tdb files than
> those that are listed?

You need all non-volatile TDB files from PDC.
That is, everything from /var/lib/samba/ (or the respective place for your
installation) plus your smb.conf. Do NOT copy files from /var/run or /run or
any other volatile storage. Make sure Samba daemons are properly shut down
before transferring files. Make sure Samba daemons have no way to restart or
otherwise access the old files, when you perform migration. Best to rename
them all away. Just in case. One more backup never hurts.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...