[Samba] Migration to Samba 4

Sonic sonicsmith at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 11:56:15 MDT 2015

On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 4:11 AM, Rowland Penny
<rowlandpenny at googlemail.com> wrote:
> It sounds to me that you are not going about this the right way, you need to
> follow the instructions on the wiki page:
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_Classic_Upgrade_%28NT4-style_domain_to_AD%29

That's the wiki page I used.

The LDAP stuff doesn't apply as the current PDC is using tdbsam.
There are no duplicate SIDs.
I don't get the "Provisioning Error: Please remove common user/group
names before upgrade" message so I assume that's not an issue.
I changed the netbios name in the copied smb.conf as instructed as the
new AD will be a different box with a different hostname.
I copied the databases listed under the classicupgrade process
section. That is: secrets.tdb, schannel_store.tdb, passdb.tdb,
gencache_notrans.tdb, group_mapping.tdb, and account_policy.tdb. Is
that list complete or just an example? Do I need more .tdb files than
those that are listed?

There is nothing listed in regards to manually adding Linux groups
that exist in the old system that are involved in group maps to the
new host. Is that something that needs to be done? If so, it seems
like an important step to leave out.

Apparently something is missing from the page or I'm missing something
when trying to follow it. So far have not figured out what it is.

Chris