[Samba] Centos7 Samba 4.1.12 -> Centos 5.11 Samba 3.5.2 = Rejecting auth request

Ty! Boyack Ty.Boyack at colostate.edu
Fri Apr 24 10:41:16 MDT 2015

Hi Holger,

I'm no expert here, but this sounds like an issue I just worked on.

In my situation, I could mount the shares IF the client had a kerberos
ticket or was a client that was joined to the AD domain. But if I tried
to mount a share with a client that was sending a username/password pair
then I would get a similar behavior you are seeing -- the domain
controller would refuse to authenticate the client session.  One
difference is that I have windows domain controllers, not the Samba DCs
you are using, but the error sounds very similar.

The way I was testing this was by using smbclient on a linux box as my
test client.

A password session like this:
smbclient //server.name/share -U DOMAIN\\user
would ask for a password and then fail with unclear error messages.

But a kerberos session like this:
kinit user at DOMAIN.FULLY.QUALIFIED
<asks for a password>
smbclient //server.name/share -U DOMAIN\\user -k
kdestroy
would work just fine.

Would you mind testing that to see if you see the same behavior?  If
that is the case, then I'm betting that we're seeing the same problem.
It seems that patches added to the CentOS package for schannel support
may interfere with password authentication.

I have CentOS7 packages for samba-4.1.12 that I recompiled without the
schannel patches, or I also have samba-4.1.17 packages if you want to
give them a try (I am using the 4.1.17 packages).  I have not run them
through any testing other than use on our live servers, and they are
working fine here.

-Ty

--
    Ty Boyack