[Samba] Noob question: user moved to a OU dissapear from getent, but groups don't

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 21 14:37:33 MDT 2015

On 21/04/15 20:53, Daniel Carrasco Marín wrote:
> Thanks to both for answers.
>
> I'm using the latest version of wheezy-backports (Version 4.1.17-Debian)
> and in this server i don't need to map the AD users to linux tools (i'm
> doing tests before change anything in production servers), but i'm planing
> to use a File Server and a Print Server in separated machines and I need to
> have access to AD users. If I disable winbind entries on that servers then
> all OS tools like getent, chown, setfacl... cannot use the AD users (i've
> done some test and I've got a non existent user/group error), and I need
> it, then: can i use Winbind without problems in client machines?

You seem to want to set up a member server with an AD DC, if this is the
case, then yes, this is the recommended way, see:

  https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_a_Samba_AD_Member_Server

I would also suggest that you test that you can get users ID from AD.

The dots are not really the problem, the problem is that you are using
the entire FQDN for the netbios name.

> Ok, good to know it. Was copied from the old samba domain.

> Why this entrie can be problematic? it changes the spaces in names for
> underscores, usefull with Cups (i can't add a group with spaces to allowed
> groups). I've curiosity.

This is not a problem, it makes winbind turn names like 'Domain Users'
into domain_users which is usable by Unix.

> For now I know that I've to change the netbios name in smb.conf before the
> classic upgrade (the old server netbios is wrong), I've to delete some tdb
> files, and I've to leave the smb.conf without change anything after the
> upgrade.

The upgrade should leave you with a fully working AD DC, you shouldn't
have to alter anything, except perhaps adding template shell & template
homedir lines and/or adding shares.

Rowland